Chilika Lake in Odisha is a brackish water lagoon at the mouth of the River Daya in the East Indian state of Orissa. The lake is spread over the districts of Puri, Khurda and Ganjam and is a famous hotspot for tourists in Odisha. Expanding over an area of more than 1,100 sq km, the lagoon flows into the Bay of Bengal. It is India’s largest coastal lagoon and world’s second largest lagoon. Chilika Lake Tour is home to an array of rare and endangered species of flora and fauna. It is the wintering ground for numerous migratory birds on the Indian subcontinent. The lake is also home to the famous islands namely Kalijai Island and Honeymoon Island that are populated with diverse range of flora and fauna.
An array of boat facility is available for different visiting different spots in Chilika Lake such as Balugaon, Barkul, Satpada and Rambha.
FloraThe flora of Chilika Lake comprises plants such as phytoplanktons, Naja Faveolata, Ceratophyllum Demersum, Azolla Pinnata, Phyla nodiflora, Suaeda maritima, Heliotropium, and many more. In addition to this Sesuvium portulacastrum, Salicornia brachiata, Cassipourea ceylonica, Carmona retusa, Meytinus emarginatus, marshes and grasses are also found at the Chilika Lake.
FaunaThe fauna comprises animals such as Ctenophora, Chaetognatha, Isopoda, Echiura, Platyhelminthes, Brachiopoda, dolphins and many more. Moreover reptiles such as snakes, turtles, lizards, and some 160 species of fishes namely Neptunus Pelagious, Scylla Serrata and so on can be found at the Chilika Lake. Truly, the rich flora and fauna accentuates the overall beauty of this lake. Therefore, do make it a point to come and see Chilika Lake and get amazed by its natural wonders.
- Kalijai Temple Kalijai Temple is one of the most famed attractions in Chilika Lake that is the abode of Goddess Kalijai. A highly revered deity in the local lores and legends, the goddess is worshipped with great devotion here. A large number of devotees and tourists visit this temple. Located in the Chilika Lake the temple can be easily reached by a boat ride. Makar Sakranti attracts a huge crowd at this temple when the celebrations are in full swing.
- Nalabana Bird Sanctuary : Nalabhana Bird Sanctuary was erected under the Wildlife Protection Act. Located at the center of the lake, this sanctuary is home to an array of bird species.
- The Nirmaljhar Waterfall : An ideal picnic spot, the beautiful waterfall is a must visit placed the Chilika Lagoon.
- Satpada : Located on the eastern side of the Chilika Lake, Satpada is confided on the three sides by lagoons. This tourist hotspot is a beguiling sight.
- By air : Bhubaneswar is the nearest airport to reach, about 120 km away from where taxis, trains and buses are available to the lake.
- By train : Balugaon is the nearest Railway station on the Howrah-Chennai track. From Balugaon buses are available to the lake.
- By road : Many buses operate between Chilika to Bhubaneswar, Cuttack and Balugaon.